Thursday, May 7, 2015

Salmon and Lentil Caprese Salad

I got the original recipe from lecremedelacrumb.com.  I have modified the amounts to fit into the 21 Day Fix for me and the hubs.  So, here's what you need:



Whatever your favorite leafy green is will work for this salad.  I happen to have a head of romaine from my most recent Bountiful Basket, and some spinach.  You will also need salmon (I am using a 1/3 lb piece for both of us), onion (I'm using red), fresh lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and pepper (salt can be used too, but I choose not to).  I was hoping that I had more cherry tomatoes (also from my Bountiful Basket), but I only had 3 so I am using a beefsteak tomato to supplement.

The lentils will take about 20 minutes to cook, so start those first:  I added 1 yellow container of dry lentils to 3 containers of water to a saucepan.  Bring up to a boil and then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.  Drain once they are tender.


The lentils more than double in size after cooking.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with a non-stick cooking spray.  Place the salmon, skin side down, in the baking dish and liberally cover with pepper.  I squeezed 1/2 of a fresh lemon on mine.  On the 21 Day Fix, lemon juice and pepper can be used as much as you want, so they are great to use to season with.  Bake the salmon for 10-15 (the piece I got ended up taking about 20) minutes or until salmon is flaky.



While the salmon is baking you can work on the balsamic reduction.  Vinegar is also an unlimited on the 21 Day Fix… WooHoo!  Put 1 cup of balsamic vinegar in a saucepan.  Bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.  Remove from heat and put into a different bowl.

The balsamic reduced by about 2/3
Cut onions and tomatoes to whatever size you like.  The onions are only for me, the hubby does't like them.


Once everything is ready, assemble the salad.  I already have 1 green container of greens in my bowl and will add another green container of tomatoes and onions.  The rest of the salad is 1 yellow container of cooked lentils, 1 blue container of mozzarella cheese, and 1 red container of salmon. 



Finally, I drizzled on the balsamic reduction and added some black pepper.


The hubby had 2 green containers of lettuce, 2 red containers of salmon, 1 green container of tomatoes, 1 yellow container of lentils, and 1 blue container of cheese.  




No comments:

Post a Comment