Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers

Last night for dinner we had my healthy version of a chicken enchilada.  This recipe has no tortilla, and I make homemade enchilada sauce to avoid the canned stuff.

This isn't actually my picture.  I forgot to snap one, but hey looked something like this.
For the chicken:
4-6 roasted poblano peppers- seeds and membrane removed
1 lb chicken breast
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
Taco seasoning
1/2 onion-diced
1 ear roasted corn-shaved from cob
monterrey jack cheese

*I roasted my corn and peppers on the grill the day before.  Right when I took the peppers off the grill I put them in a Ziploc bag to steam.  This makes the skin come off easier.

Season the chicken with the taco seasoning and put in a crock pot with the chicken broth on low for 8 hours.  After it is done, shred the chicken and add the onion and corn.  Stir to combine.  Make a slit down one side of each pepper and stuff with chicken mixture.  Place in a baking dish and cover with a little bit of cheese and the enchilada sauce.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

For the enchilada sauce:

1 pint tomato sauce (I can my own, but you could use store bought)
3 cloves of minced garlic
2-3 Chipotle en Adobo peppers-chopped
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp onion powder
*depending on your tastes you can add more seasoning if you like

Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Simmer for at least 10 minutes to let the flavors combine.  If you are using a store bought can of tomato sauce, add a cup of water as well.

For the 21 Day Fix this is equal to 2 green, 1 red, 1 blue, and 1/4 yellow (because of the corn).




No comments:

Post a Comment